Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kezhovica baths

Last week I ventured to the local hot springs facility.  Some would call it a spa, but I think that is a bit of stretch.  It is primarily used by the locals.  A physical therapy facility is also located on the premises.
The experience begins in the taxi ride which takes me through some beautiful mountains 2-3 kilometers outside of town.
You arrive at this pleasant but not ostentatious lobby where you pay your dollar to use the baths as long as you want.


Once you have paid your money, you go inside to the changing rooms.  Notice there are no lockers.  I was warned not to bring ANYTHING of value.  One woman told the story of her father having his clothes stolen.  And these are not really changing rooms, they are more like disrobing rooms.  No swim suits are allowed.

Then you enter the steamy baths.  You sit on the bench areas and dip VERY HOT water out of the basin to bathe with.  I found it very comfortable.  You could really get your feet clean for instance, though the hot water was a challenge when washing my hair.

From there you can go into the pool.  There was a person in there when I wanted to take a photo.  Perhaps I can add on later.  At any rate, it is about ten feet square and three feet deep, with an 18 inch ledge around the side for sitting.  The temperature is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I did a few of my water exercises, though shallow pool meant I could not do much and shortly the heat got to me.

So it was out and dress and a cab ride home. A good experience, made better by waking up the next morning to find that my back no longer hurt.  In fact, it did not hurt for an entire week, at which time I repeated the process.  The Romans really did know a good thing when they developed these springs as public bath 2000 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment